I couldn't be more thrilled to have Jill here to talk about what I find to be one of the most nervewracking things to write: SEX SCENES. Believe it or not, writing them still makes me feel kind of icky. Yes, I know I'm a urologist.
So without further ado:
1. Do your parents (or grandparents) read your books, and if so, does it make you squeamish?
My parents are huge, huge fans and so proud of me. That being said, I have warned my dad that he cannot read my books. My mom has read them and at first, it wigged me out a little. I sent her constant little disclaimers like "Your daughter has never done any of this! Promise!" and "It's all make-believe, Mom! Really." But you get more comfortable with it as time goes on.
2. As a urologist, I use the word "penis" every day, but it's a really clinical word. I've seen the word "phallus" used a lot (as a more "classy" alternative, but the word kind of gives me the willies). Do you often use euphemisms for sex organs (male and/or female)?
I pretty much use 'cock' or 'erection'. And it's one of those things where you have to use what you're comfortable with. I was not comfortable with 'turgid maleness' or 'purple headed warrior' though the use of 'manhood' has never triggered my ick button. I know some people that hate 'manhood' though. I think the trick is keeping in mind that it's supposed to be sexy as well as descriptive. You have to use what works for you. I know some people find the word 'c&nt' sexy and they use it. I, however, do not, so you won't see that in my sex scenes.
I actually find it harder to describe a woman's sex organs than a man's! Men have all these cool words like 'cock' and 'penis' and 'manhood' and all the crazy euphemisms. You can't really use euphemisms for a woman's sex or you totally lose the reader. No love grotto, no moist pink taco of womanhood, nothing.
3. Do you ever address things like STDs and birth control in your sex scenes? If so, then how?
Yes and no. My characters in my succubus diaries books are immortals with some impressive regeneration powers, so they are immune to diseases and cannot get pregnant by natural means. Since my books feature mostly immortal-on-immortal sex, STDs and birth control don't really come up. I do have a book coming out late next year that features a human girl that gets mixed up with shifters, and it certainly comes into play a little more in that storyline.
4. Are all your sex scenes told from the POV of a woman having sex with a man? Have you ever tried the reverse?
Everything I've sold so far is from first person POV, so I haven't had the chance to flip the sex scene yet. I might have to for a later book, just to play around with it!
5. What is the strangest editorial advice on a sex scene you've ever gotten? What is the most helpful editorial advice?
You know, my editor really doesn't give me a lot of editorial advice on the sex scenes. I think she is overall pretty happy with them. Since my books are about a succubus, there's a lot of sex and a lot of innuendo, and it's hard for me to tell when it's 'too much' or not enough. I do know when I wrote my second book, I opened up with a hardcore sex scene on a desk. My editor put the brakes on that because it set the wrong tone for the book (and she was right). I lightened the scene a little and turned it into more of a proposition, but not a full-out sex scene.
Most helpful advice? One of my crit partners teased me because I used the word 'hot' a lot. Now I'm more careful with it. ;)
Thanks again to Jill for answering my questions. And don't forget to post a comment so you can enter the drawing for Holly's query critique!
Be sure to check out yesterday's interview with Jill, also on the topic of sex, posted by Wendy Cebula. Next stop on Jill's blog roll: Jen Blom. A list of Jill's other fabulous interviews here.
Last but not least, you can find Gentlemen Prefer Succubi at bookstores, Wal-Mart and Amazon.
15 comments:
"Moist pink taco of womanhood"
Gloria Steinham would be proud.
Keep up the good work!
Yeah women dont have any cool words for their sex organs. But you never know "love grotto" or "moist pink taco of womanhood" might catch on lol great interview.
I think you really nailed the heart of the dilemma about euphemisms by stating that you have to go with what you're comfortable with. If you try to use words or phrases that are popular, or try to write like someone else, it is going to come out forced and that's not good.
Margay
It's good to know your editor loves the sex scenes. I could imagine how awkward having someone "coach" someone about that particular topic could feel. lol.
P.S.--I used to use the word SCORCHINGLY SEXY like eight times in my manuscript so don't feel too bad. that's what we have critiquers for, to spot things we'd rather ignore : )
OMG, your female euphemisms are great! *snicker* Thanks for the advice!
How fabulous it is to be interviewed by a urologist about sex scenes!
Very cool, Jill!!!
Cheers,
Erin Kendall
Right now, I'm just glad I write for children. Enough said. :)
Laura
That is interesting about how your editor had you change the first scene. That is a good point because that first scene does set the tone of the book. Thanks!
every time the word sex was mentioned - i blushed - its that kid book writer in me :)
LOL, "phallus" gives you the "willies"?
Still laughing about this one. Thanks for hosting a great interview with Jill.
Nice job, Ilene! AW :)
The taco analogy still has me laughing. Thanks for the fun post.
that interview was hot *G*
and the taco is just... *giggles*
Nice to see sex scenes talked about so frankly. I appreciate all the advice here! Even if I may never write a sex scene, I am more comfortable with the idea.
Post a Comment