Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Possum Madness!!!


Dearest blog readers,

Today I'm thrilled to interview Jen K. Blom, author of the wonderful middle-grade book POSSUM SUMMER, coming out March 14th from Holiday House. Here's some of the advance praise for Jen's book:

Possum Summer is a heartwarming, vibrant story [that] mixes themes of honor, resolve, and courage with just the right blend of adventure, excitement, humor, danger, love, compassion, and a small touch of romance. It's a book that middle graders will want to read. --Bill Wallace, author of A Dog Called Kitty

So, here we go. WARNING: Possum crossing!

***

Welcome to the POSSUMS ARE AWESOME blog tour for the middle-grade book, POSSUM SUMMER, coming out IN EIGHT DAYS HOLY COW! (Have you preordered yet?)


Ilene's been wonderful enough to have me by, so I'm gonna try and keep her out of P's clutches. Not always the easiest thing to do.


First off, a little about the book:
a lonely kid.
an orphaned baby possum.
a dad that says no way.

how do you keep that kind of secret?

and what happens when you’re found out?





Here we go!

IW: How many revisions did you do on your story, and what is your approach to motivating yourself to revise?


JKB: I actually really like to revise. Earlier in my writing career I didn't, but having gone thru the process with such an amazing editor, I couldn't help but learn tons. I think I did four major revisions, with pretty hefty plot points being changed. Tons of smaller go-thrus, too. I lost count at eight.


IW: What's your favorite recipe?


JKB: Depends on the day. :-D Comfort food is definitely macaroni and cheese (the sorry box kind) and Doritoes. With Dr Pepper. Also? fried chicken is good, and you can't go wrong with mashed potatoes. Wow, I sound so basic.


IW: Who was your most difficult character to write and why?


JKB: OooOOH. I think the one I had most trouble with was P's father. Him being outside the story yet such an integral part was difficult to get to come through. But I'm happy to report that I got it in copy edits. FINALLY.


Princess: You didn't write my dad! He is how he is!


JKB: Whoopsie. Look who just showed up.


P: Hello, Miss Ilene! What do you like to eat? What's your favorite?


IW: My favorite meal is probably sushi, but it's a close call!


P: Another sushi eater? How can there be so many people that like raw fish? *gags* What do you like to do for fun, then?


IW: My favorite activity is definitely sleeping. :-D


P: Oh. Okay, well then I like you. Anybody that lists sleeping is definitely high on my list. Even if you do eat Nemo. What is something really interesting about you?


IW: Hm. I guess it's the mole on my nose.


P: Cool! I don't have one of those! I wish I did, they make a person look so distinguished! Look what I drew you as:




P: A porcupine! They have real distinguished features too. Did you know that if you even touch one of their spines, it'll detach and just eat you alive? True story! I saw a dog once, what had gotten a muzzle full, and --


**scuffle**


JKB: Ilene, you are wonderful. I'll just be on my way before you kick me out. :-D




Jen K. Blom writes about animals, the land, and kids, not necessarily in that order. Her debut, POSSUM SUMMER, is available March 2011.


Just the thing to give to a kid to start their summer of reading off right! (Available from your local indie, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Borders, or Book Depository!)


Seen the book trailer yet?


Want more POSSUMS ARE AWESOME blog tour tidbits?


Go here and knock yourself out!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a fun interview! I'll look for the book. :)