That was an interesting experiment.
A big shout out to the three of you who were brave enough to post questions... as those of you know who follow my Twitter (Amaryllis2004), my life has been a yardsale for the past week so I haven't gotten a chance to craft my first Ask Your Friendly Urologist column, nor to figure out what kind of disclaimers I'll have to have about my medical advice. Things'll be clearing up in the next week or two, though, so stay tuned.
In the meantime, I'll throw a question out to YOU:
If you read my blog and had a question but didn't post it, what stopped you?
I ask this because I started writing my book as a reaction to the people who giggle or blush when I tell them I'm a urologist. I also wrote it for my colleague who still lies to his grandmother about what specialty he's in, and for another whose daughter yelled at her during an argument, "You can't tell me what to do, I know what you do for a living."
Despite the best efforts of Cable TV and the InterWeb, taboo still rules our society. Wherefore thy inhibitions, readers? What, if anything, can I do to help you be proud to have no shame?
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am currently pregnant and have kidney stones (1.2cm, 9mm, and 6mm). My doctor wants to do percutaneous nephrostomy to remove the kidney stones after the baby is delivered. My question is, what is the recovery time for this procedure? Also, what are the chances that any of these stones will cause problems for the rest of my pregnancy? I passed a stone last year and it was so painful that I would rather not experience that again!
Hi, there - I should probably have a caveat on my site that I should not answer patient specific questions, as the answer would certainly vary depending on your circumstances (stone location, stone type, your past medical history, etc).
I cannot stress enough that one should refrain from giving specific medical advice when one has not examined a patient and thoroughly reviewed his/her medical records and images. So sorry I can't be of help!
I can say, though, that the typical straightforward percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL) patient will go home anywhere from the first to the third day after their procedure. I'm afraid I cannot answer your second question without knowing more about your specific medical history, though.
Hope this helps!
Post a Comment